Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Bucky's holder flies cross-country

"John, my father-in-law (versus John, Ross's father- or brother-in-law), has taken to calling me the 'Bucky holder,' which I think is really funny. He also sends us little candies in the mail for no reason. One for Bucky and one for Clare, taped to company letterhead. All the grandparents-to-be have taken to doing fun and thoughtful things like this, I think it's their version of "nesting," and preparing for grandparenthood.

I, the Bucky holder, flew to Portland, Oregon last week for a conference for my job. Lucky for me, I know a number of people who live in or near Portland who I could visit in my downtime. It was quite fun to visit with people who had yet to see me pregnant (in person, at least, which really makes an impact). Also lucky was the fact that the flights to and fro didn't bother me as much as I feared they might.

Blog-master Becky (aka Rebecca) blew me away by flying up to Portland to see me (and her family) since I was going not only be on the same coast, but would be in her hometown. Bucky was so excited that s/he convinced me through a series of morse-coded kicks to wear the BUCKY shirt for a Becky-Bucky photo.

BeckyandBucky


The three of us posed for this in front of The Fireside Cafe in Kalama, Washington.

Kim, another good college friend and former roommate, lives in Portland and is working for a very cool company called HABA. She passed up a hot date to hang out with us, which also blew me away. Bucky must have been just as touched as I was. At dinner s/he kicked hard enough that Kim and Becky could both feel it and see it!


kimbeckclare

Here we are in Kim's apartment: Kim, Becky, Me, and Bucky (lower right corner).

After a wonderful dinner and amazing gelato, the 3.5 of us were met by yet another college friend, Scotty. He wasn't as eager to feel the kicks, but was still impressed with my being pregnant. It was so nice for me to know that my friends are just as excited for this baby as Ross and I are. I stayed up well past our bedtime for want of spending as much time as possible with those close friends that I don't get to see but maybe once a year.

The next morning Becky drove me to meet up with Pam and John (of grandparent fame). We enjoyed a surprisingly good brunch at the Fireside Cafe in Kalama before Becky officially handed me and Bucky off to the future grandparents. The rest of the day was spent learning about Ross's infancy and what we might be getting into with the birth of our first child. I'm looking forward to it even more; a little Ross wouldn't be so bad."
--Clare, 10/19/05

5 Comments:

Blogger RB said...

It's unfortunate that these photos make me look like I could be the pregnant one. Sigh...

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also don't think these pics do Bucky (or any of us) justice.

I'm getting big now. In a few weeks we'll have the Nov 1st photo taken, and I promise you all will be surprised.

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RB, I looked at the pictures and thought "BeckylookscuteIwantthatsweater."

Also, this may be inappropriate, but what happens to fetus poop? Does it go out the umbilical cord like food goes in? How does that work?

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you're in SO much trouble! Not really ... but you really have to let me know next time you're in my general area. I'd love to see you (and Bucky).

Also, you look terrific. :)

xo.

Erica

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda,
I don't think the baby has it's first bowel movement until much much closer to due date. I'm not sure so I will find out and let you all know . . .

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home